Wednesday, April 7, 2010

God Bless You, Mr. Vonnegut


There are very few authors deserving of the "Greatest Author In The World" title. I hold a select few close to my heart. Bret Easton Ellis, Tom Robbins, Charles Bukowski, and William S. Burroughs are but a few. And of course there are a few books that have completely destroyed my entire world view. Here is where I insert American Psycho, Fight Club, The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things, Women, and House of Leaves. But there is not a being in the UNIVERSE that has fueled my endless quest for literature such as the one and only Kurt Vonnegut.


During a time where English teachers believed that books like The Poisonwood Bible and The Things They Carried were masterpieces that high schoolers would be interested in, my senior year English teacher Mr. Brown gave me a list of required readings (which I kept because of the amazing pieces included in it). Having to choose between 1984, Jitterbug Perfume, When I Was Five I Killed Myself, and Slaughterhouse Five, I took a chance and chose the latter.


It was this single, random choice that sprung me back into the world of literature. With his dark sense of humor, his complete understanding of science fiction, and his affinity for social satire, Mr. Vonnegut truly mastered a form that did not come off as pretentious, overly intelligent, or childish. It was perfect. And had it not been for this man, it would have taken me much longer to start reading again.


So, thank you, Mr. Vonnegut. You have shown the world that it is OK to laugh at yourself. And you have shown us that it doesn't take a lifetime of hard living to kill us. And you have shown me that amazing literature isn't about how well you use multi syllabic words, but how well you can connect with the person reading it. It is about telling a great story that a person will never forget. It is all about us.


"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.'"


So it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment