Friday, April 9, 2010

Failed Careers In Music: A Game Of You (2002 - 2006)


There is something to be said about Converge and Botch. These two bands have had such an insane influence on technical hardcore and heavy music in general that there are almost no other bands that can bear the name "Pioneer." Just like hundreds of other bands, A Game Of You felt that heavy influence, and it is apparent in the final recording we did.


The first time I saw A Game Of You, I had just joined Virginia Is For Lovers. Watching AGOY at the time was like watching a madman screaming at a ragtag bunch of musicians without any sort of compassion or remorse. I remember being afraid of Steve, but thinking the bass player then looked like a total bozo. So, AGOY played a few shows before I had heard they kicked out the drummer, guitar player, and bass player during that time (keep in mind that once I had joined the band, I had jammed with 2 separate drummers and 4 guitar players). So came my attempt at joining the band.


Since the band was based out of Orlando, I had to ride out to O-town with Steve, who I had met once, just to try out for the band. Imagine the most awkward drive ever. This was more awkward. I'm pretty sure Steve wanted me dead (though later he got me into some of the greatest music ever). So, this tryout took place in an empty bedroom and Steve and Andrew's moms house. I made the band. So, the lineup when I joined was Steve LaCour, Andrew LaCour, Taylor Nathe, and I believe a kid named Junior? (Andrew/Steve, correct me if I'm wrong).


Then came my first show with the band. By this time, Junior was out, and Eric was in. This first show, however, was a good 13 hour drive away in Richmond, VA. I didn't mind since we got to play with Cursed in a living room. The drive up, however, was like some twisted circle of hell. We didn't have a van, so we rented a minivan, which did not fit half of our equipment, not to mention the 7 people that had to get there. This meant there were no backseats. For 13 hours. The trip ended up being awesome, though.


Once we got back, the lineup changed not too long after. Taylor was out, and Josh was in. At some point, Eric was out, and Ken was in. We played Tallahassee with our good friends in youTragedy. We played the first This Is For You Fest (in which we covered Coalesce's You Can't Kill Us All). Sometime soon afterwards, Ken was out. At this point, we remained a 4 piece for quite awhile.


It wasn't for a few months that Brad joined the band. This is when we started writing the only good music we wrote. With the lineup being Steve, Andrew, Josh, Brad, and myself, we recorded Demo 2005. Here is the tracklisting;


1. The Flood Year

2. Glorious Weapon

3. Dorian Gray

4. These Days Get Colder


At some point, we played the second and third This Is For You Fests, did a short tour with Dead To Fall (everything I eat tastes like pizza), and played some random shows. It was after this point where we decided that it was about time to call it quits. We played our final show (which was ridiculous). There was sweat. There was blood. There were shirts ripped and ear drums blasted. And I couldn't have had a better time.


Today, Steve is playing bass and ripping off faces in the band Trap Them. Andrew and Josh are playing in a band called Khann, which is also ripping off faces. Brad is playing in a band (although I am not sure what they are called). I haven't spoken to Ken or Eric in a few years, so I'm sure they are doing well. And I see Taylor every now and again at good punk rock shows. Other than that, the end was rather quiet, and the few fans we had have long forgotten about us by now.


If anyone has a copy of Demo 2005, please get to me as soon as possible. I'd like to upload it if possible. There are other recordings, so maybe I'll post a discography if I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment