Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Case Of Multiple Identities


Growing up, I lived in a normal neighborhood. We lived on the corner, and there were a number of kids down the road, although I was the only one born in 86. Everyone else was either 2-3 years older or younger than me, so I eventually resorted to bookworming. Between Goosebumps, Animorphs, and fighting with David Valderama, I didn't really have an interesting childhood.


It wasn't until I was almost out of high school that I noticed the anomaly that lived at the end of my road. I'm still not sure what his name is, or if he is even considered sane, but I do know this; he was never the same person twice in one week.


My first memory of this man was his house. It wasn't that he lived in a house that was covered with elven decor or painted with psychedelic vomit. It was a normal brown house in Coventry Forest. Most people would drive right by it and not think twice...if it weren't for the 20 or so vacuum cleaners posted in his driveway.


The man had a collection of cleaners that were continuously on sale. What was worse is that it always seemed that they were different. And it wasn't often that you would see him sitting outside trying to sell them, but every now and again, he'd be out there. In a robe. Or a dress. Or a state troopers uniform. Or a Muslim head dress.


There was also the story of my late night encounter with this gentleman. It had to be 4 in the morning, coming home from Orlando or a friends house (the event doesn't matter). As I go to turn into my neighborhood, I see a man directing traffic towards my road. It wasn't until I was 50 feet from the man that I noticed it was the vacuum salesman. In full trooper garb and caution vest. Alright then.


The next day, I pull up next to a white molester van only to notice that it was the vacuum salesman/traffic trooper. Only this time, he was wearing a sundress, full makeup, and diamond earrings. In a windowless van.


I hadn't seen him for months after that, mostly due to my busy schedule, or my aversion to seeing him, but the next time I did, it seemed that he found religion in Islam. His beard had come in nicely, terroristly, and his head dress was certainly traditional turban.


Since I moved from the neighborhood, I don't see him so much. The last time I did, though, his yard was still dressed with cleaners and a new addition; sewing machines. I mean, all I know is that if I ever really met this man, I'd be afraid to shake his hand, but afraid that if I didn't, he'd hurt me in some horrific, torturous way.


So, godspeed, Mr. Identity Crisis. May all your personalities thrive and be successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment